Here in this article, we will explain to you in detail how you can cross a toll plaza without getting your Fastag scanned. But before that, we will give you a brief overview of why it is sometimes required to stop Fastag from scanning.
Why Stop Fastag from Scanning?
Fastag is a mandatory tag launched by NHAI as per the orders of the Ministry of Road Transport and Highways. Fastag is a very useful Radio Frequency Identification technology i.e RFID based device installed on your four-wheeler vehicles and it is beneficial, especially for those who travel frequently through the toll plazas.
The scanners at a toll plaza, scans Fastag installed on your vehicle and deduct the m from your prepaid wallet.
But sometimes there are situations when you don’t want your Fastag attached to your vehicle to be scanned by the scanners installed at the toll plazas. There are many reasons why you want to stop your Fastag from scanning at toll plazas. Some of these reasons are mentioned.
- If you give your Fastag-installed vehicle to some of your friends or relatives, then when that person crosses any toll plazas, money will be deducted from your Fastag account.
- Many vehicles come under exempted categories. Some of these categories are VVIPs, Military Vehicles, Physically disabled person vehicles, etc. If your vehicle comes in any of these categories, then your Fastag doesn’t need to be scanned at a toll plaza.
- If you have sold your vehicle to some other person and Fastag is installed on it, then money will keep deducted from your Fastag account, whenever that person goes to any toll plazas.
If you face any of the above situations, then you don’t need your Fastag to be scanned at a toll plaza.
How to Stop Fastag from Scanning?
As mentioned above, if any of the above-mentioned situations arise, then you are required to get your Fastag scanned by the scanners at any toll plaza. There are many ways to stop your Fastag from scanning as below:
Hide the RFID Chip of Fastag
If you already have a Fastag and installed it on your vehicle, then you might know that there is RFID enabled chip on this Fastag. This chip is scanned by sensors at the toll plazas when your vehicle comes near them. This is a special type of chip and you can’t get this chip from being scanned by simply hiding it with some paper or normal tape. You have to follow a different procedure for hiding it and avoid getting it scanned as mentioned below:
- You can use a double-sided thick tape and cover your Fastag fully with it.
- Another tried and tested method that will work in most cases is to take silver or aluminum foil.
Fold this silver foil.
- Now place the copper wire in the folded two layers of aluminum foil.
- After that paste this aluminum foil piece on the Fastag attached to your vehicle.
- You can use normal tape for pasting aluminum foil on the Fastag.
- Make sure, the aluminum foil with copper between it completely covers the Fastag sticker.
This idea definitely works and will let your Fastag stop scanning when your vehicle passes through a toll plaza.
Temporarily Disable your Fastag
Another way to stop your Fastag from scanning is to temporarily disable or deactivate it which you can do by following the below steps:
- Call the Toll Free Customer Care Helpline Number of NHAI i.e 1033.
- You will be connected to the customer care executive who will let you know how can you deactivate or disable your Fastag.
- You can also contact the customer care number of the particular bank from which you have purchased your Fastag and generate a request for disabling your Fastag so that it is not scanned.
So by following the above-mentioned ways, you can stop your Fastag scanning and avoid getting the money deducted from your Fastag wallet account.